Chicago-based Gonnella Baking Company produces frozen bread and roll dough. They constructed an expandable manufacturing and distribution facility in Northeast Pennsylvania, built to service the large East Coast market. Hayden electric was awarded the project of installing the electrical system, because of their previous record of high construction standards. Challenges began in December 2006. It was a wet, muddy and cold winter throughout the installation of the primary duct banks. Furthermore, the specifications did not permit any underground conduit installation throughout the building. Also, since Gonella is a food manufacturing facility, special attention had to be undertaken to control all dust and rigid aluminum conduit needed to be used.
As safety is always a top concern for Hayden, the team suggested the owner change from the original design of a 15kV pole-mounted high-voltage switchgear and utility metering to a pad mounted, metal-enclosed high-voltage system. Per the food-processing specifications, all the equipment was fed using rigid aluminum conduit, installed overhead. Due to the combustible nature of flour, all of the electrical equipment and lighting fixtures met the standards for use in that environment. As the flour silos stood eighty feet high, a 120-foot boom lift was used to install beacon lights, flour level sensors, control wiring and lightning protection.
- Hayden doubled the workforce in order to get the entire project accomplished within the original time frame of an aggressive owner driven schedule.
- The Hayden team’s workmanship, efficiency, cost-consciousness during aggressive scheduling and changing scope of work proved to the overall commitment to excellence of the project.
- Gonnella’s state of the art food processing facility launched the expansion of the north side of CAN DO’s Humboldt Industrial Park, therefore providing economic stimulus and job development to the Greater Hazleton Area.
- Recipient of 2008 Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc., Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter, Merit Shop Award of Excellence in Construction – Electrical Industrial
“Hayden’s foreman and a team of electricians met every deadline and challenge we placed in their path. Not only were Hayden’s team members experienced, but they demonstrated a sincere commitment to our project. I believe that commitment is what sets them apart from their competition. This unique characteristic is why Gonnella will contact Hayden for our next project.”
– Kent Beernink, Vice President of Manufacturing